Most enterprises are opening up to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policies in keeping with corporate employees’ preference of using personal mobile devices for personal and professional tasks. While IT teams try to reduce the risks associated with a heterogeneous mobile environment and BYOD with Mobile Device Management (MDM), it is not enough. Enterprises have to also consider a secure content management system that will allow mobile workers to securely share files of various formats across devices, platforms, and networks. In this article, we discuss some points brought out by Accellion, provider of enterprise-class secure file sharing solutions, in a whitepaper.
According to statistics from Cisco, 3 out of 5 workers say they no longer need to be in the office to be productive. They can work just as well from home offices and cafes, hotels and airports with public networks. While companies provide secure apps for common office tasks such as email, calendar, communication dashboard, internal social media, etc., workers rely on third party services such as DropBox to store and retrieve files. That’s a far from secure arrangement that also violates data security regulations.
Other security threats that concern IT security teams include loss of confidential data on device theft, connection of a malware infected device into internal networks, installation of a malware loaded application into mobile devices, and data leaks from confidential files uploaded by users to personal devices.
Secure Mobile Content Management Systems
Accellion suggests the following tips to build a secure mobile content security solution for your enterprise:
- Aim for multi-device support as the corporate arena is no longer the domain of BlackBerry phones.iPhones and Android smartphones, as well as iPad and other tablets are being commonly used to access corporate content and the same should be supported by your file-sharing service.
- File and work space security should be enforced with individual file encryption on storage and transmission, file expiration dates to protect sensitive data, password protection, and file protection even if it is left open on a device.
- Ensure secure file transmission on internal and external networks to allow collaboration with customers, partners and suppliers apart from peers.
- Introduce collaborative workspaces where context of files is available for authorized users to read and contribute to. This helps users understand the why, how and when of files without losing time in contacting other contributors for clarifications.
- The solution should map with a mobile application that is approved by the IT department and complies with all security requirements of the enterprise.
- Sandbox corporate data on personal mobile devices and disallow the intervention of personal and corporate information via processes either.
- Support integration with industry accepted content management systems such as SharePoint to allow secure access of information to mobile workers.
- Include support for heavy media files typical of videos, medical images, etc.
- Have a central dashboard for management of users and data; security implementations; as well as logging, tracking, and reporting.
- Incorporate security controls in compliance with industry regulations such as GLBA, HIPAA, and SOX.
So, eager to learn why your business MUST take notice of Mobility ? Or want to decide which app is a right fit for your business? Download your choice !