Cross platform applications must conform to certain guidelines to work well. Just because they’re cost-effective versus native apps doesn’t mean you can be lax. Here are 5 cross platform app development best practices:
- Consider incremental development cycles. Minimize time to market and get the app into the hands of early users for testing and support. Once the app reaches beta, launch it. Invite feedback and make incremental changes through periodic updates.
- Have a consistent look and feel across platforms. This creates familiarity across devices and platforms, and encourages higher adoption. Enterprise users don’t have the time or inclination to overly explore an app they’ve downloaded for business reasons. Keep everything straightforward.
- Ensure the business logic of the app remains unchanged across platforms. This means that the flows and navigation for main operations remain unchanged. Users switching from say, an Android smartphone to iPhone, should not face a new learning curve for the same function.
- Performance is everything. Ensure the performance of the cross platform app is always optimal. This means no long loading times, minimal memory footprint, quick refreshes and navigation.
- Integration with other mobile services helps. Though the app may not leverage too many device-specific features, it’s recommended to have it integrate with other popularly used mobile solutions such as social media, photo apps, content management solutions, etc.
So, eager to learn more about Mobility ? Deep dive into your topic of interest !